- Editor's note: This page has been created in 2009 when a first attempt was made to convert the OEIS (main database) to a wiki. It is currently obsolete since another content management system has been developed for the main OEIS, independently of the wiki.
Motivations for the wiki
- Every change to the OEIS currently requires manual steps by N. J. A. Sloane. This is becoming unmanageable as the OEIS grows past 150,000 pages. Also, because there is a delay between submission to and inclusion in the OEIS, conflicts between submissions are becoming a significant problem.
- One of the strengths of the OEIS is the overall quality and reliability of its entries. The editing process is an attempt to preserve this.
- This is an experiment. If it fails, we need to keep the classic OEIS interface available as a fallback.
- Postpone customizations until they become necessary.